Prep Time : 30 minutes
Cook Time : 10 minutes
Servings : 6
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp Athina Original Greek Yogurt
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped into chunks
- 1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1 cup Athina Original Greek Yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill (or use 1 tsp dried dill)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 - 8 Greek Pita Flatbread
- Diced Roma tomatoes, peeled and diced cucumbers, chopped Romaine lettuce, diced red onions, Athina Feta Cheese, cilantro and Kalamata olives (olives optional)
To make Greek chicken:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, Athina Original Greek Yogurt, red wine vinegar, chopped red onion, garlic, oregano, thyme, coriander seeds and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Place chicken in a big ziploc bag, pour marinade over chicken, seal bag while pressing out excess air and transfer to refrigerator to marinate 2 - 4 hours. Remove chicken during the last 30 minutes of marinating to rest at room temperature before grilling (leave in marinade).
- Brush grill grates lightly with oil and preheat grill over moderately high heat. Once hot, add chicken and grill until cooked through (internal temperature should register 74°C on an instant read thermometer), rotating once halfway through cooking.
- Remove from grill transfer to plate and brush chicken lightly with olive oil then cover with foil and allow to rest 10 minutes. Dice into strips.
To make tzatziki:
- Place diced cucumber in a mesh strainer or colander and sprinkle with salt, toss to evenly coat then allow to rest 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Rinse cucumbers and place over several layers of paper towels. Squeeze some of the liquid from cucumbers. Place cucumbers in food processor and pulse to chop to desired size.
- Add in Greek yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar, parsley, and dill and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pulse to blend. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container up to 3 days.
To assemble gyros:
Layer chicken in a row along center of pita, top with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, Kalamata olives, red onion, Athina Feta Cheese, cilantro and tzatziki sauce. Wrap and serve.